Founded in 1949, St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital has a rich history in serving Greensboro, GA and the Greater Greene County areas.
Minnie G. Boswell Memorial Hospital is founded at 1201 Siloam Road, Greensboro, as the Nation’s first Hill-Burton hospital. It is a 25-bed critical access hospital that also includes a nursing home. A major donor, Army Col. James Boswell, asks that the hospital be named in honor of his mother.
(approximate year) Minnie G. Boswell Memorial Hospital receives a letter of accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations.
Minnie G. Boswell Memorial Hospital announced an expansion of their radiology services in order to provide expanding medical services to individuals in Greene County.
Minnie G. Boswell Hospital opens a new surgical suit.
Minnie G. Boswell Memorial Hospital Foundation reaches their first important goal of matching the Chipman-Union $125,000 grant.
Minnie G. Boswell Hospital dedicated the new surgical suite to Arthur Stewart and Chipman-Union Foundation
The Greene County Hospital Authority votes to close the hospital due to debt and continuing losses. Three days before closing, Miami-based Pacer Health Corporation. buys the hospital.
Pacer Health Corporation announces the hospital is operating in the black.
Pacer Health Corporation announces plans to replace the 1949 facility with a new hospital on GA Hwy. 44 near I-20. This same year, Pacer closes the maternity ward, saying it is financially unsustainable.
St. Joseph’s Health System of Atlanta acquires the hospital from Pacer and renames it St. Joseph’s at East Georgia. The system begins planning for construction of a replacement facility.
St. Joseph’s merges with Emory. The new system decides not to retain St. Joseph’s at East Georgia and begins searching for a buyer.
St. Mary’s Health Care System acquires the hospital’s Certificate of Need and assumes all responsibilities for operations on Jan. 1, simultaneously changing the hospital’s name to St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital. Montez Carter, PharmD, Vice President of Operations for St. Mary’s, is named as the interim president.
On Jan. 10, St. Mary’s announces the purchase of a 24-acre site on Lake Oconee Parkway at Carey Station Road for construction of a new replacement hospital. Over the coming months, Collins Project Management is selected to oversee design and construction, Earl Architects is selected to design the facility, and Brasfield & Gorrie is named as the general contractor.
On Aug. 16, St. Mary’s breaks ground for a $40 million new replacement hospital at the Lake Oconee Parkway site. The event is attended by more than 300 people.
St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital in October is named one of the top 20 critical access hospitals for quality in America by the National Rural Health Association.
Montez Carter is named as the President for St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital in November.
St. Mary’s Health Care System creates the Good Samaritan Hospital Foundation and launches an $8 million capital campaign to augment funding and provide additional services for the new facility.
In a ceremony on November 5 attended by more than 300 invited guests, the Most Rev. Wilton D. Gregory, Archbishop of the Diocese of Atlanta, blesses the new Good Samaritan Hospital.
St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital wins the Georgia Small Hospital of the Year Award.