Neuroscience Continuum of Care
St. Mary’s provides a complete continuum of care for stroke patients and others suffering from neurological conditions, including:
Continuity of Care within St. Mary’s Health Care System
- Inpatient care: St. Mary’s Hospital’s Neuroscience Critical Care Unit and Neuroscience Nursing Unit provide staff and equipment specialized in stroke care.
- Inpatient Rehab: St. Mary’s Center for Rehabilitative Medicine is Athens’ only acute inpatient rehabilitation facility, allowing patients to achieve their maximum level of ability.
- Home health care: St. Mary’s Health Care System brings nursing, rehabilitation, aides and more to the homes of eligible patients.
- Outpatient rehab: St. Mary’s Outpatient Rehabilitation and St. Mary’s Wellness centers help patients continue improving after leaving the hospital.
- Additional care: St. Mary’s annual Community Stroke Forum, a monthly Stroke Support Group , and nutritional counseling to help patients meet their healthy lifestyle goals.
About St. Mary’s Health Care System
St. Mary’s Health Care System is a fast-growing, non-profit health care system that includes a 196-bed hospital in Athens, GA; St. Mary’s Good Samaritan Hospital, a 25 bed Critical Access Hospital with a Certified Swing Bed Program; Highland Hills Village retirement community and Center for Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care; regional home health care and hospice services, including the area’s only inpatient hospice house; outpatient diagnostic, rehabilitation and wellness center; and an expanding number of physician practices, including cardiology, neurology, internal medicine, family medicine, industrial medicine and general surgery.
St. Mary’s Hospital in Athens, GA is the only hospital in the region to achieve The Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval™ certification in advanced primary stroke care, heart failure care, total knee replacement, advanced inpatient diabetes care, and spine surgery. In addition, St. Mary’s Hospital was named #1 in the state in stroke care by Georgia Trend Magazine and a Top-Performing Hospital in America for Orthopedics by U.S. News and World Report in 2011. St. Mary’s Hospital received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Gold Plus Performance Award for stroke care in 2010 and 2011 and was named Georgia’s Large Hospital of the Year in 2006 and 2010 by the Georgia Alliance of Community Hospitals. St. Mary’s Health Care System is a member of Catholic Health East and has been the official health care provider for the University of Georgia Athletic Association since 1999.